Church/State Separation requires constant maintenance! Play your part by making your local, state and national representatives know that there is a constituency that cares about these issues. Here is how to contact them:
1. Senate: For names, phone numbers, office and e-mail addresses: https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators.cfm.cfm. To write to U.S.Senators: Office of Senator (Name), United States Senate, Washington , DC 20510
2. House of Representatives: For names, phone numbers, office and e-mail addresses: http://www.house.gov/representatives. To write to House members: 730 12th Street NW, Washington, DC 20005. General phone number: (202) 224-3121
Missouri State Government
1. Governor Jay Nixon contact page: http://governor.mo.gov/get-involved/contact-the-governors-office. To write to the governor: Office of Governor Jay Nixon, P.O. Box 720, Jefferson City, MO 65102 Phone: (573) 571-3222
2. Senate: Navigate to http://www.senate.mo.gov/LegisLookup/default.aspx to find the name of your state senator. Go to http://www.senate.mo.com/14info/SenateRoster.htm for legislators’ addresses and phone numbers. The main address is 201 W. Capitol Ave., Jefferson City, MO 65101.
3. House of Representatives: Navigate to http://www.house.mo.gov/legislatorlookup.aspx to find the name of your state representative. Go to http://www.house.mo.gov/member.aspx to find the office address and phone number of your state representative. The main address is 201 W. Capitol Ave., Jefferson City, MO 63101 and the phone number is (573) 751-3659.
Here is a template for a letter:
I am a resident of xxxx, Missouri. As one of your constituents, I am writing regarding an issue related to the separation of church and state, a founding principle of our country’s history and vision, and protects the religious liberty of all. It is one freedom that is very important to me. I am asking you to (support or oppose) the issue (or specific bill number) because …. [The more specific your arguments (for or against), the more effective your communication is likely to be.]
Thank you for your attention to this critically important matter. The favor of a reply is requested.